Brazil Nuts - Ingredient Spotlight
B R A Z I L N U T S
Scientific Name: Bertholletia excelsa
Common Name: Brazil nuts
Brazil nuts are seeds with healthy nutrients, and these nuts grow on Brazil trees (Bertholletia), which belongs to the Lecythidaceae family . They contain nutritional fibers, fats and selenium.
Additionally, Brazil nuts have many health benefits, such as they improve heart health and brain functions.
We use these in six of our products including the Anti-Inflammatory, Anti-Anxiety, and Memory Booster. The reason for this is due to their high concentrations of protein, calcium, sodium and magnesium. These substances help improve overall human health.
People have been using the nuts since the Paleolithic Era and were first introduced by Spanish explorer 1569. Now they are commonly eaten all over the world.
Other Amazing Benefits of Brazil Nuts:
The nuts contain a high amount of selenium which helps the body to perform different functions. They are also best for treating other diseases and issues including thyroid problems, body temperature, and can help to boost the metabolism.
- are important for a proper functioning thyroid. They help to produce certain hormones and protect the thyroid from injury
- help to lower inflammation because they contain antioxidants
- are rich in polyunsaturated and monosaturated fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health
- help improve blood sugar levels and reduce insulin levels because they contain selenium
- help boost brain functions and are very effective for Alzheimer's disease
Vitamins & Minerals
Brazil nuts are a great source of protein, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
100 grams of brazil nuts contain:
- Protein: 14 grams
- Selenium: 988% of RDI (recommended daily intake)
- Copper: 55% of RDI
- Magnesium: 33% of RDI
- Phosphorus: 30% of RDI
- Iron: 36 mg
- Calcium: 160 mg
They have the highest content of magnesium than any other nut and are the best food source of selenium in the world!
Be careful not to eat too many! Excessive amounts can cause selenium poisoning. So eat just 2 to 3 per day to avoid selenium posing which can lead to weight loss, nausea, and fungal infections.